Saturday, August 15, 2009

Jumpin' catfish! It's James Reasoner!

See that little cowpoke in the Wyatt Earp vest on the Followers roster? Yep, that's James Reasoner. Davy is in awe of this guy. And why not? James is one of the true Fictioneers of the modern age. He’s written so many books, under so many names, that if I started listing them now I’d still be typing next week. In any given year, he writes more books than most humans even read. There's a list on his web site to prove it. I’m particularly fond of his 10-volume Civil War saga. Start with Manassas and you’ll see why. Somehow he also finds time to blog, at Rough Edges. His latest books under his own name, as far as I know, are Dust Devils (a mystery) and Death Head Crossing (a western). His latest under other names, are (I think) Longarm and the Valley of Skulls and The Trailsman 325: Seminole Showdown. Of course, he probably has a couple more coming out next week. Plus, as this unretouched photo illustrates, he’s a snappy dresser. I'm with Davy. I’m in awe of this guy, too.

4 comments:

James Reasoner said...

Thanks for the kind words of welcome, Dave. I think maybe that's a Bat Masterson vest I'm wearing in that picture. You can't really see the derby because it's tilted back on my head. I'm also fairly sure the picture was taken at my Aunt Annie's house in Blanket, Texas, probably on Christmas Day, 1959.

Evan Lewis said...

I stand corrected, James. I thought I could almost see the Bat Masterson silhouette logo on the right side of your chest, but it looked like a star on the left. I guess Bat's entitled to the star since he was a deputy for time, though not often on the show. I never had the vest, but I had the derby, the cane, and a short-barrel Hubley Remington .38 I'm pretty sure came with the set. That what you're packing in your holster?

James Reasoner said...

Dave,

I have no clue about the gun. Too many years ago, and I probably wouldn't have known at the time. I had the Bat Masterson outfit, the Maverick outfit, and the Kit Carson outfit (some really cool fringed buckskins). Those are the only Western ones I remember. I had a Mighty Mouse cape, too.

Evan Lewis said...

Please send pic of you as Mighty Mouse. It'll be an Internet sensation!