Tuesday, December 22, 2009

A Garage Rock Christmas




When it comes to Christmas music, I'm a Scrooge. But there is one song I haul out every year - sometimes even in July - to give a listen: "Santa Claus" by The Sonics.

Maybe it's due to brain damage, but The Sonics have been my favorite band since I was 14 years old. So here's my Christmas present to you...

You'll recognize "Santa Claus" as owing a debt to the garage-rock classic "Farmer John" by the Premiers. But it's better. "Louie, Louie" is a prime example of The Sonics' BOOM. "Psycho" was one of the band's big Northwest hits back in 1965, and a fitting anthem for my teenage state of mind. And "Keep A Knockin'", one of the most ferocious of all Sonics songs, is a tribute to the true King of Rock and Roll, Little Richard. 'Nuff said. Just listen.

"Santa Claus" by The Sonics

"Louie, Louie" by The Sonics

"Psycho" by The Sonics

"Keep A Knockin'" by The Sonics

2 comments:

Cap'n Bob said...

First Chuck Berry, then Elvis, then Little Richard.

Evan Lewis said...

I'd make Elvis the Prince and Chuck the Duke.