Saturday, January 29, 2011

And the winner of the mini-Edgar is . . .


At my critique group meetings this past week, the kind folks in each group staged an early celebration of the Robert L. Fish Award.

My Saturday gang, sometimes known as the Yolawriters (because we used to meet at a defunct coffee shop called Yola's) presented me with this hand-crafted 4 1/2" likeness of Mr. Poe. Then midget booze bottles were produced to improve the coffee. My thanks go out to word-wizards R. L. Kelstrom, Kassandra Kelly and Jackie Blain.

The Wednesday night crew hauled out champagne and treated me to a toast. For that I'm indebted to Ann Littlewood, Christine Finlayson, Angela Sanders, Doug Levin and Marilyn McFarland, fine writers all.

To most of those folks I'm doubly indebted, because they also provided valuable input on the first draft of "Skyler Hobbs and the Rabbit Man." More proof, if any was needed, that critique groups rock!

10 comments:

Deka Black said...

Congratulations! Now all you need is a Golden Bug to add to the mini-Edgar.

Cap'n Bob said...

Really neat, but I don't think the Fish Award is an Edgar statue.

Charles Gramlich said...

Definitely a neat little item there.!

Evan Lewis said...

Hey, who needs a statue when I got this?

Kassandra said...

How did you get EA to stand upright? The last I saw of the little fellow he was lolling among the empties with a silly smile on his face. I was concerned, frankly, because public drunkenness is an early sign of rabies infection.

Here's to ya, Evan. Many more accolades await!
--Kassandra

Evan Lewis said...

Little Eddie is sitting in the screw cap of a spice jar, creating the illusion of semi-sobriety.

pattinase (abbott) said...

What a great group and I know they feel a great deal of pride in you.

Cap'n Bob said...

I think that Edgar is neater than the real Fish award. Those are nice friends you have.

R L Kelstrom said...

As I always say, a little Edgar is better than a big plaque. But I'm sure this is just the harbinger of great things to come.

Brian Drake said...

Congratulations, my friend. So... has Ms. Reid called yet? :)