Thursday, January 20, 2011

Robert L. Fish Award: Who, Me?


Yesterday was an interesting day. It started with an email from Cap'n Bob Napier, congratulating me on the Robert L. Fish Award. While I was still puzzling over that, I got a nice message from Janet Hutchings of EQMM. Then I saw a congratulatory post on Sandra Seamon's blog, Finally, I headed over to the News Authority of the blogosphere, Bill Crider's Popular Fiction Magazine, scrolled through the Edgar nominations, and found this:

Robert L. Fish Memorial
"Skyler Hobbs and the Rabbit Man" - Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine
by Evan Lewis (Dell Magazines)

Very cool, I thought. I'm a long-time Fish fan, and the books shown here had been on my Sherlock shelf since the 70s. The award, I figured, must be for the best humorous Sherlockian story of the year. And the reason I was the only nominee was that no one else wrote one.

Then more emails came in, from Patti Abbott, Scott Parker, Allen Weiner (co-author of David Crockett in Congress), Emperor of the Universe Art Scott and members of my critique groups. And many folks made kind comments on blogs. And eventually I figured out the award was not Sherlockian after all. It was for best short story by a "new" author (which, you must admit, is better than being called an "old" author). 

But that got me worrying about the lack of other nominees. Would the MWA be issuing an apology, saying the others had been omitted by accident? If so, that's fine, because I'm sure there were many deserving stories. But if the list of nominees stays as is, I'm thinking my chances look pretty good. (I even consulted Skyler Hobbs, and he agrees.)

Whatever happens, I'm honored - and grateful to the MWA, the Edgar short story committee and everyone who sent congratulations my way. You really made my day.


Tomorrow: I'm Guest Host for Friday's Forgotten Books (Patti has the day off). PLUS: A book so forgotten it was never published.

16 comments:

James Reasoner said...

Huge congrats, amigo.

R L Kelstrom said...

Hurray! A well deserved award. Skyler Hobbs is a one of a kind character and only you could write him right. This will be the start of really big things.

Charles Gramlich said...

That's very cool, man. I'm definitely glad to hear it.

Evan Lewis said...

Jeez, more kind words. I'm whelmed, and then some.

Deka Black said...

Congratulations! glad tohear it,but... What's the opinion of mr. Hobbs? ;)

Craig Clarke said...

Incredibly well deserved. Congratulations, and we can say we knew you when. :)

David Cranmer said...

Congrats, Evan! I'm glad to see your story (and series) receiving the recognition it deserves.

Jerry House said...

Congrats, sir. A very big achievement and well-deserved.

When will we be seeing the next story, "Skyler Hobbs and the Coveted Award"?

Evan Lewis said...

Thanks folks.

I like that title, Jerry. Maybe I'll have to send Hobbs and Wilder to the Edgar Banquet.

Todd Mason said...

And you do realize by now that you aren't on the shortlist...you are the winner...

wayne d. dundee said...

Congratulations, Evan. Way to go!

George said...

I've always enjoyed Robert L. Fish's stories. You should be proud that you're following in his footsteps!

Dan Fleming said...

Congrats!

Randy Johnson said...

Happy for you, man. Well deserved.

Richard Robinson said...

Arthur J. Burks just emailed me that the award has been stolen and is being held for ransom somewhere in New York's Chinatown. No worries, though, Dorus Noel is on the case! He should have recovered it long before the awards are held.

Now once you figure that out, you can relax.

CONGRATS again, my friend, both at the award and at being "new". Yow.

Doug Levin said...

The Fish Award also paves the way for the Skyler Hobbs collection!