Thursday, February 14, 2013

VALENTINE SPECIAL: Modern Love -- and -- a Moon, a Girl... Romance (1949-50)


You E.C. Fan-Addicts already know this, but for the rest . . .    Before the appearance of such classic titles as Tales from The Crypt, Weird Science and The Vault of Horror, E.C. comics creators William M. Gaines, Al Feldstein, Graham Ingels and Johnny Craig were churning out books like Saddle Justice, Gunfighter, Crime Patrol, War Against Crime and the two sappy titles featured here. These days, copies of these romance books command between a hundred and a thousand bucks, depending on condition.





8 comments:

Richard said...

A whole story on every cover--nice!

Evan Lewis said...

And who but Al Feldstein could do it?

Cap'n Bob said...

By doing some pretty shifty tap dancing they managed to turn A Moon..A Girl...Romance into a science fiction comic. This saved them the cost of a new second class mail permit.

Evan Lewis said...

True. That mag had probably the weirdest history of any EC title. Started as Moon Girl and the Prince, then Moon Girl (a Wonder Woman wannabe), Moon Girl Fights Crime, A Moon, A Girl... Romance, and finally Weird Fantasy. And the Post Office busted them anyway. Crime Does Not Pay.

Kassandra said...

How can I tell my husband that since I met the Space Brothers I no longer love him the way I used to? Washing his dirty socks and picking up wet towels off the bed no longer thrills me. I want more, I want a silver lame catsuit.

Marilyn said...

Great covers. I like the backgrounds--full moon and racing dark clouds ... a smoky jazz club and torch singer...ah, temptation and heartbreak, where would we be without it? Happy Valentine's Day.

Rick Robinson said...

How can I tell the cat that I love my wife more? I can't take a chance on being scratched! Yet the truth must come out.

Michael Bigham said...

Way cool.